Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Driving 101

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member SunTzu's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 16th, 2002
    Posts
    1,434
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Driving 101

    Have driving standards been totally abandoned these days ?

    Today on my commute to work , which consists of a mix of rural 2 lanes , city and interstate roads , I witnessed all of these examples of poor driving habits .

    1) No turn signals before turning or changing lanes . They believe I have an advanced ability of ESP .

    2) Tailgating like they were drafting at Talladega .

    3) Application of mascara at 70 mph . Set the alarm 5 minutes earlier please .

    4) Reading a newspaper at 70 mph . I'll be reading about you in the obits soon .

    5) Entering interstate at 35 mph and trying to merge into 70 mph traffic flow . This is akin to trying to jump in front of a stampede of buffalo . They call it an acceleration lane for a reason .

    6) Right turn from left lane . A classic maneuver to avoid pusuit but otherwise not needed .

    These examples of flagrant disregard for rules , safety and common sense transcends gender , race and age . I am a firm believer in defensive driving and I suggest everyone liberly apply it daily . Happy Motoring !
    Life is a grindstone . Whether it grinds us down or polishes us up , depends on what we are made of .

  2. #2
    Inactive Member SunTzu's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 16th, 2002
    Posts
    1,434
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Driving 101

    I'd like to add to my driving rant .

    Right of Way , This is not Quantum Physics ! Look people , no advanced degrees are required to understand the basic principles of right of way . We have Einsteins out here on our highways folks that are not qualified to drive a Big Wheel much less a vehicle . Get a drivers manual and bone up !
    Life is a grindstone . Whether it grinds us down or polishes us up , depends on what we are made of .

  3. #3
    Inactive Member lpd05's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 28th, 2005
    Posts
    257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Driving 101

    Driving would be so much safer if people just used some common sense and slowed down. Driving on US 23 can be a scary adventure. The speed limit is 55 mph...But 60 mph is not enough. At 60 mph, people pass me like I'm sitting still. If it's raining or foggy (like this morning), a good driver is supposed to slow down and allow for the conditions. My 55 mph this morning was apparently not enough. This not only goes for cars, and trucks, but the big 18-wheelers as well. Coming down Wise Mountain, those people will pass u doing 70-75. A lot of times they are carrying fuel or something else explosive. What gives them the right to do 20 over the speed limit and endanger the lives of drivers in much smaller vehicles? An 18-wheeler and a car is like comparing a tank and a Volkswagon. Big rigs are subject to the law like the rest of the drivers on the road
    Clintwood Greenwave
    Back-to-Back Region D Champions
    2008 LPD Champions

    "State in '08"


  4. #4
    HB Forum Owner R0cketer's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 16th, 2002
    Posts
    7,632
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Driving 101

    My personal vice is the people who go 30 mph when you can't pass them, and the moment you could pass them or get to a 3-lane or 4-lane, must have visions of the green flag in Nascar being waved and double their speed or more. I mean that is about the only time I get road rage, when I have had to follow someone for 20 minutes, and finally get to where I could pass them and they tromp it as hard as they can. I keep telling myself rubbing is racing but not on the main road...
    What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •